Friday 18 March 2011

Where I'd rather have someone stick pins in my eyeballs

I'm saying a very brief hello this morning as I'm off to visit family today with my car boot full of the cakes I baked yesterday. To get to Manchester, I have a three hour drive ahead of me which I'm not looking forward to it at all. I hate driving at the best of times but driving on the motorway is my idea of hell, especially if it's raining.  If you gave me a choice between that and having someone stick pins in my eyeballs, the answer would be so difficult  I'd have to phone a friend.
It's not that I'm timid like Bee, who doesn't get up to third gear until she's in the outside lane but I don't like the aggressive way people drive now, always tooting or drawing up behind you when you're already doing seventy and flashing their lights to get you to move over.

If the Husbands driving it's he's just as bad, shaking his fist or shouting "can you believe that?"  or  "Did you see the way she cut in on me, brains of dynamite she wouldn't have enough to blow her hat off!"

He's not only brilliant a driver but also wants to impart all his vast knowledge to me. Quite honestly, I don't know how I'll manage to change gear today, as he's not going to be sitting next to me in the passenger seat, giving me directions. Also he gives me loads of useful tips and reminds me to go faster when I need to get into the outside lane, make sure I indicate in plenty of time, put the lights on when it gets dark and  even how to work the petrol pumps at the filling station.

To get off to a good start this morning, I must remember that he always parks the car in gear,  "very good safety measure for when you're on a hill in case handbrake fails,"  he tells me. Between you and me sometimes I forget, jump in and start the engine. The car, which he's left in first gear, leaps forward aggressively for combat with our unsuspecting garden fence.

Hopefully, I will manage to get there and back without him and will be back blogging merrily tomorrow if I can just manage to reverse off the drive now he's gone to work..

No comments:

Post a Comment