Friday 18 February 2011

Where I do psychological test for job and get 'paralysis by analysis'

9.10am
"Did first part of job application on line last night," I tell Bee, on the phone, this morning.
"I had to complete something called "match assessment." I say.
"Errm, is that something to do with football?" Says Bee, as her brain does not crank into action and eyes do not open until second cup of coffee of the day.
"I'm applying to 'Aspirations' to to answer 'phones for sales company, remember? Part time working from home, while I write novel?"
"Ahh, yes," she says as coffee does its work and grey cells spring back to life.
She should know what I'm rabbiting  on about. She is using me as guinea pig to see if I am successful as she would like part time work to fund her decadent artist lifestyle.
"You had to answer about 100 psychological questions," I say "so they can see which of their companies you would be most suited to answering phone for."
"Hmmm," she says slurping porridge, "What sort of questions?"
"Errm, things  like "do your see yourself as pushy?"
"Pushy?" She says.
"I had to tick a box and the choices were
1 Always
2 Often
3 Rarely
4 Never."
"So which one did you choose?"  Bee says,  "I mean if you tick "always pushy," is that a good or bad thing?"
"Exactly. And if I tick  "Never," will that mean I am a wimpy pushover that cannot stand up for self  or sell anything to anybody?"
"True," Bee says, warming to theme "So better if you say, "always pushy" and they'll think Ha ha, she sounds like she can kick ass, get job done, sell lots of stuff."
"Or on the other hand,"  I say "If I'm 'always pushy' maybe they'll be afraid I'll want better pay, longer  holidays, shorter hours, smarter desk and will  become shop steward..."
"Hmm," Bee says "that's true but..."
And so for over an hour we debate some of the 100 questions, including whether it will be seen as good or bad to be 'sympathetic,' 'interested in co workers,' and a 'team player.'
"Maybe the trick is to choose first answer that comes into your head?" Bee says finally.
"Who knows,I think I'm suffering from 'paralysis by analysis' and I've two more tests to do." I say glumly.  Maybe The Husband  is right, it is MI5 that I'm applying to for job. Grrr! There's only one thing to do under the circumstances. "I'm going to bake a very large Chocolate cake this morning." I tell Bee "and then eat it this afternoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment