Friday 25 February 2011

Where The Loch Ness Monster survives another attempt at capture, purely by chance

We were getting ready to go out to supper at friends, Tasha and Charlie's last night, to celebrate their surprise summer wedding announcement. I was on last half hour of  finishing hair and make up (2 hour total operation, like respraying second hand car).
"It's very romantic," I say to husband as I'm putting on dress, "so you remember that bottle of Vintage champagne I've been hoarding  for over 100 years for suitable special occasion? We'll take as gift."
"Wow," said The Husband "never thought I'd see the day. That bottle's managed to avoid sighting and survive so many attempts at capture it's a legend, like Loch Ness Monster."
Between you and me, I had to hide it. He's tried to drink it at every Christmas, birthday, and Valentine's Day, when he's caught a 'prize' trout, when Newcastle United win match to celebrate, when Newcastle lose match to commiserate,  when he's been on time for work,(I nearly gave in on that one) because it's been a nice Tuesday.
"Won't it need chilling?"
"It's been in fridge since this afternoon." I say smugly.
"That's marvellous," says The Husband deciding on which tie to wear, "but for goodness sake hurry up or we'll never get there. That must be at least the ninth or tenth outfit you've  tried on (actually 17th but had better not say). "Then it will be "which earrings go best?" and there's another half an hour and we haven't even started on shoes or handbags."
"Well," I say putting on huffy/bossy tone, "to save time, as you're so efficient, do you think you could take bottle of champagne off shelf in the fridge and put in the box it came in. I had to take it out as box too big for fridge but it's very fancy box, with swirly art nouveau designs on it,  so put bottle back in to make it look smart."
"Yes, yes," says The Husband knotting tie, "I think I can manage that."
Friends are very delighted with gift and rush to get out swanky crystal glasses and ice bucket, while other two guests say "ooh how lovely" and "what a treat."  As champagne is one of my own favourite's, there's great sense of anticipation as they open box and I feel mouth watering as they remove bottle.
"What the f@*k?" Charlie says grinning, as he produces my bottle of £3.50 Co-op Cava which The Husband has removed from inside door of fridge, next to milk.  Worse still, it's only half full after last night's little tipple, with my blue plastic stopper in top. Feel surface of my face reach 200 degrees, grind teeth, think about running to pond in garden and throwing self in, decide better to throw The Husband in, followed by Cava bottle.
"Can't believe it,"  says The Husband, as I give him what he calls my 'Medusa look' "Nessie's managed to outwit me again."

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been on the wine, love that is why I have been making spelling errors, is your husband rapacious, said before get reid of husband (murder comes to mind, kielder is very big get the body out of way) then live with parrot,

    ReplyDelete