Sunday 13 February 2011

Where we buy budgie grass and learn of 'Bluey's' demise

5.30pm
Sorry I had to dash earlier but had Mah-vellous time at market.  On one stall we saw two  little tubs with pictures of budgies on them and on closer inspection the label read "budgie grass," which is slightly unusual on number of levels especially  as the stall  was selling electric guitars.
Guitar man, who sees me looking at tubs, says," I used to have budgie and these were his,  you just add water to tub and then in 4-5 days you have grass, sort of like salad for budgies."
"Oh" I say, "that's lovely. Our budgies, Linus (green, obese, vicious ) and Ramone (pretty, blue, naive) will love that." (I am easiest person in world to sell anything to, just don't get The Husband started on that).
Husband rolls eyes, "budgie grass," he mutters under breath,  getting out wallet,  "I'll buy them the seed but they can mow their own bloody lawn."
"What was your budgie's name?" I ask man as he puts tubs in bag.
"Bluey," he says handing back our change and bag with seed in.
"What happened to him? "
"He died." He says shaking head sadly.
"Ahhhhh," Ella and me say, "that's sad."
"Yeah it was,  I was devastated, he was a lovely boy," he says wiping away a tear. "Funny how you get so attached to a little bird."
"Ahhhh,"  we say again.
"Fat, he was, would eat anything," he adds smiling
We nod.
"Yip, anything except that blasted budgie grass, he hated the stuff."


No comments:

Post a Comment